C & S Mommy

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Raging Mad

Yesterday I attempted to take an exercise class at the YMCA. We aren't members yet but I got some free passes so I could try out some of the classes and decide if we want to join. I rushed around like a lunatic to get there. My dad came to watch the girls and off I went. Of course, I was running a little late so I raced there and rushed in practically running only to be told that they don't accept guest passes after 4 pm. I was so pissed I could have killed someone. I was going to call this morning and rip someone a new one but I decided that would probably not help anything so I wrote a letter. Here it is:

My husband and I have been looking into starting a membership at the YMCA for all facilities in Greensboro and canceling the current membership we have with another family gym. I received some passes to try out a few aerobics classes before we committed. Yesterday, I arrived at the Bryan family location and was told turned away quite rudely with a smirk and explanation that passes were not accepted after 4 PM. I studied the pass in my hand to see where that information was provided (as I am sure you know the information is not there) and was directed with the point of a finger to a sign apparently with this information. I did not bother to read the sign as my outrage over the situation and the way I was being treated would not allow me to stand there a moment longer.

One of the main reasons we have decided to join the YMCA is due to the core principles you encourage of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility. Yesterday, I was not treated with respect nor did your employee uphold her responsibility of taking a moment to care about my situation. My question to you is how are my husband and I supposed to determine if we would like to join your facility without first assessing the programs you offer? This is the opportunity I thought I was being provided when the passes were given to me. The stipulation of not being allowed into a class that does not take place until after 4:00 is unreasonable and counterproductive to the purpose of the pass. I am unsure how I can allow my daughters to be part of a place where there is a possibility they will be disrespected as I was yesterday. My hope is that this is an isolated event and my husband and I can sign our family up to be part of a community where they will find “worthwhile programs and meaningful experiences that make a positive difference in their lives.”

I trust there is a way this situation can be rectified for myself and others visiting your location. Thank you in advance for taking the time to address my concerns.


We will see what happens!

3 Comments:

  • deep breaths deborah.
    the killer is having to get a babysitter too, its not like you can just pop back another day. I hope you went out to a bookstore or something good instead while your dad was at the house.

    By Blogger nancy, At 8:55 AM  

  • Nothing that cool. I came home and then went for a walk/jog - more walking than jogging (I have started a running program though I am not really running yet). I was amped to do some kind of fitness something. It was 5000 degrees though (honestly like 107 yesterday) so I was only out for like 30 minutes and was like a wet noodle by the time I got home. But I did work out some of that aggression! :)

    By Blogger Deborah, At 3:14 PM  

  • Your letter was extremly well written - I'll say it again for the world to read: you should definately start writing in a magazine, or children's book. You would be awesome (and this is not strickly from a Mom's point of view!!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home