C & S Mommy

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Giving Thanks

From Wikipedia: Thanksgiving, or Thanksgiving Day, is a traditional North American holiday to give thanks for the things that one has at the conclusion of the harvest season.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I think I posted last year the reasons why. The biggest one being that I love thinking about all that I have to be thankful for and finding out from other people what they are thankful for. This year, we were all together for Thanksgiving at my mom and dad’s house. Unfortunately, my in-laws did not join us until dessert but it was still an awesome day. I don’t have the big group picture yet (it is an unbelievable picture) so I should probably clarify what all together means so here is the guest list:
Mom
Dad
Dianna – sister
Rob – brother-in-law
Kathy – Dianna’s mother-in-law
Bobby – Dianna’s father-in-law
Michael – Rob’s brother
Shelly – Michael’s girlfriend
Jim – brother
Sandra – sister-in-law
Jake – nephew
Felicia – Jim’s mother-in-law
Juan – Sandra’s brother
Keith – husband
Cecilia – daughter
Sophia – daughter
Joanne – mother-in-law
Ernie – father-in-law
Kyle – brother-in-law
Kristin – sister-in-law
Norbert – co-worker of Ernie’s
Jeanne – Dianna’s friend
Andy – Jeanne’s husband
Abby – Jeanne’s daughter
Ella – Jeanne’s daughter


There was lots of food and drink. It was loud and possibly even slightly rowdy (to some at least). It was wonderful. I always try to quietly look into a room and “catch” people getting along. It makes me so happy to see my mom and mother-in-law holding hands huddled close talking, my two brothers-in-law talking business, my sister-in-law swinging Sophia into the air, my sister engrossed in a conversation with our sister-in-law’s mother, my brother’s brother-in-law and my husband playing that stupid Guitar Heros game in the living room, Cecilia showing off her gameboy to my brother-in-law’s brother. Having had a pretty rough week before Thanksgiving and spending a lot of time questioning God (I will share that in another post) I think, “This is what it is all about.” Here we are 20 some odd people, different and similar, linked by so many different relationships making one day the single best day of the year (at least for me personally). We all have one thing in common, despite everything, we love each other if not for the individual we are then for the individual who loves us. This day will nourish me for a long time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home